Adsense



    

Friday 24 August 2012

No more Bob the Builder for my kids!!!

I've previously mentioned that I am not afraid to pick up power tool, I've used a drill to put up a shelf, which my husband may or may not have asked "Is that straight or does the ceiling slope in here to?" I'm blaming the ceiling, he gave me an out.

So deciding to build a proper laundry station complete with it's own little shelf, seemed like a fairly easy task. Ummm, if your sensing things weren't quite that easy, you would be right. I should also say, that I "build" these things while the hubs is at work, during the babies nap time, but truthfully if he saw me "during the process", I suspect divorce papers would be soon served!

The Laundry station.


I want you to pay close attention this is pictorial evidence that the bible is indeed correct and pride does come before the fall.

So here's our supplies:

  • Paint - I used Taubmans Whisper White
  • Bead board to fit the back
  • Wood for the frame
  • Support beams
  • Drill
  • Assorted Screws
  • A Brain - I didn't use one but it would be a massive help!


I started by measuring the bottom posts/ support beams, marked the cut line.


Then I drilled and screwed together the frame


By this stage, I'm thinking WOW, I'm like a building natural, perhaps I inherited this ability from my very dear, departed grandfather, (who I'm sure is rolling in his grave).

So I thought I must show how important it is to select the correct screw (totally stole from Better Homes and Gardens TV show)

Now, after sharing this with you, I'm about to die of embarrassment.

I screw the support beams onto the brackets, then off to paint the bead board. After it's dry I grab Samuel, my eldest child, into the Laundry and together we connect the back and I screw it on. Then I place Australia's biggest ironing board, henceforth to be known as ABIB on top.

Looking good hey???





Well looks can be deceiving, apparently since I left work I've lost the ability to count. I was out by nearly 20 cm ( about 8-9 inches) ARRRGG, how can I be so stupid, by this time it's 10:30 pm and I'm going out of my mind.
 I figure it's probably time to go to bed.



Jules had a breakfast meeting this morning and left early, so I got up to get a start before the kids got up. I measured again, got the hacksaw out and cut.  I get the ABIB back in the laundry and low and behold - I had measured up wrong again and still needed to remove about 10cm (4 inches). Just in time for the school run.

I'm just about ready to lose it, so I strapped the little ones in their chairs in front of the telly, with a cupcake each, to keep them quiet for 15 minutes so I can finish, not my proudest Mummy moment - stop judging me!

I pick up the saw and blaring out from the TV, is the theme song to Bob the Builder and I all can hear "Can we fix it" and let me tell you that condescending little English builder and his crew yelled out their response, it very clearly could be heard as "yes WE can" mocking me as I sawed.

It took me about 20 minutes to finish and 200 new gray hairs but she's done!






Now that's she's done I love her, she has already made a huge difference.

I'm really looking forward to decorating her, I'll be Pinteresting for some idea's, because what legit craft blogger doesn't want to see their gorgeous ideas butchered by someone else.


 I've also begrudgingly forgiven Bob and the crew for their insensitivity during the process, because he was an effective baby sitter for so many years!                                          
                                         


DIY Delight or Disaster, well the process was a massive fail but on the whole I'm delighted. The ugly taps have been hidden and for that I'm grateful.

What do you think, Delight or Disaster? Oh and any "decor" tips would be fantastic.

Thanks for reading.

Mel xo


10 comments:

  1. Awesome now by having Australia's biggest ironing board you need to have a willingness to take on large tasks ie my ironing and yours!!! I don't ever do any except for my uniform but hey you have a huge ironing board and I have clothes begging to be ironed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks really good
    and way to go for tackling it yourself!

    thanks for stopping by
    Fridays Unfolded!

    alison

    p.s. i would love to see
    bigger pictures of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm struggling with the picture editing side of things, if you know any one with good (easy) tutorials, please let me know. Thanks for having me :)

      Delete
  3. The way I see it is that you got there in the end! I would not even attempt any sawing or attaching - would totally take off an arm or a leg! I love the end result - looks great! Well done :)

    Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I worry about that as well but on the plus side it would be the quickest 10 pounds I'd ever lose! ;)

      Delete
  4. Looks great, and I love your humor! I'm glad I'm not alone in the project hair pulling category! :) Saw you over at DIY Showoff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having mismeasured a time or two (or almost every time)I feel your pain. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...