Adsense



    

Thursday 4 October 2012

IKEA - My Love/Hate Relationship

Morning All,

I am going quietly insane today - actually I do nothing quietly, I am partying like a freak. I woke up to discover that the lovely Mandy from Sugar Bee Crafts, had not only featured my Ruffle Scarf but that it was the most viewed link. To say I was pleasantly surprised, is the biggest understatement of the year. I have been reading her blog forever, long before I started blogging and I am just floored!


                                                          

I truly feel that the lovely ladies from The Inspiration Cafe were the ones who made this happen.Without their offer to guest host, I would not have put my knitting on display.

Today you get to see the latest edition to the babies room.

When I showed you my toy box I mentioned that it was a great place to read, so you may have seen this one coming.

 Here is our Story Central.





If you follow me on Pinterest you may have seen me pin this Book Nook from Naptime Decorator.
I immediately fell in love with it and decided I must have one.

So a few weeks back we went for a trip to IKEA. Now I have an issue with IKEA, did you know that Australians pay more for IKEA products than anywhere else in the world? Well according to a recent survey which was discussed over at Apartment Therapy, we pay more than anyone else.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been skipping around blog land and there is a project with a $30 price tag, only to discover that the item alone will set me back $70, before doing anything else. Damn you IKEA and your fabulous storage.

So to my utter amazement, I discovered the one thing we pay less for - The Spice Rack! $2.49 here, $3.99 in the U.S., so for once, I wasn't cursing them all the way to the checkout!

Anyway enough griping here's how I put together Story Central.

Supplies:
Cardboard Letters
Ribbon
Assorted Scrapbook Paper
Glitter
Modpodge
GlueGun/Sticks
Ikea Spice Racks

First I glued ribbon onto the R. I saw this in blog land and can't find the original, so if you know where it comes from please let me know so I can give credit where it is due.



Then I punched out circles and hot glued them to the E.




For the A, I simply glued it on and cut it out, the middle bit left rough edges which made me a little sad, I think I need a new knife.





The D was done using the same method as my "Trash Chic" Vases. I mixed red and green glitter, have to say not overly impressed with the D but stayed with it anyway. It looks a little Christmasy




Hot glued them to the wall, and added the spice rack book cases. Now I know the Spice Rack to Book case has been done a million times, but let's face it, it's an awesome idea!




Finally, my little reading area.



DIY Delight or Disaster? Delight, I am really happy with the outcome. If there is anything I wish I had done differently it would be the D otherwise I'm really happy. The books have just added so much color to the wall.

I'm really disappointed with the photos, if you read along regularly  you know I'm not great with the camera, but this area is so much better in real life, it actually looks amazing. I have tried and tried to get a good shot but with no luck

I also have a very delighted 2 year old, she was quite excited by the books. Unfortunately, every time I add something to this wall she doesn't take a nap, she just jumps around in her cot talking (jabbering) and pointing to whatever has been added.

As for Max, he looked like this (rare snap of the boy looking clean and smiling. Sorry couldn't resist, I am a mother after all.)





I'm so close to finishing this room. I can't begin to tell you how much having the kids home has hampered the finishing date, a couple of things left before I can finally file this one away.

So what do you think, camera issues aside, delight or disaster?

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo


17 comments:

  1. I think it looks great. It makes me want to go read something. And, how funny that you pay more for Ikea things, aside for those spice racks. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delight! Max is adorable! I had never seen the spice racks used for books, so in my mind it is all your idea. The READ letters are very creative. I like bright rooms for kids.

    We have to add a two hour drive to the price of our IKEA buys. I had read that article about the price differences. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your reading area. Your kids are so lucky to have such a cool mom making their rooms so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful addition to your cute wall, my dear! I love the AND SUPER CONGRATS about the feature at Sweet Bee Crafts! You totally deserve it- that scarf is divine (and so are you!) Have an excellent day, my friend.

    -Amberly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish we had Ikea. I love the reading nook! And Max is adorable!!! Well done on the feature - awesome awesome awesome!!!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally cute little space, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel!Mel!Mel!....first things first...Max is the cutest baby EVER!!! I kind of want to pinch his cheeks!! Makes me want to say all the things you see on blogs...super cute! Adorbs! etc!!! (ha!ha!) The book shelves and sign....very cool! You are your own worse critic..the D looks fine and not too Christmasssy. And finally...The Sugar Bee readers know a great thing when they see one! Way to Go girl...you so rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your feature - well deserved! Love your reading area, what a fab way to get the kids interested in books, makes it fun and happy! Never seen the spice rack book shelf before - think I see a trip to IKEA coming soon ;) oops my poor hub is cringing - he does not 'do' IKEA lol!

    P.s max is a cutie!

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo hoo, Mel, so awesome on the feature, congratulations!!!

    DELIGHT! I love the room and the R E A D! And oh my goodness, I just want to squeeze Max he is so darn cute!!! The room is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're really really cute! I came here from Shine on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the room!The letters are adorable, but Max steals the show!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. High priced Ikea? That is just wrong! Ikea is supposed to be affordable!!! This little reading nook is delightful and I'm always a fan of promoting reading to/with our children. Your R-E-A-D looks adorable on the wall. I love the little spice rack book shelves. I have Ikeas wire pot racks on the wall in my playroom holding books! (I didn't think of that idea either, but it was definitely worth copying ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The letters turned out great, and I love the pop of color of the books. Great job! :)

    (Visiting from the Simply Creation's Link Party)

    ReplyDelete
  14. these turned out cute! a great way to personalize the space! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really cute! I love the bookshelves. Stopping by from tip-toe thru tuesday. I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it.....so uncluttered unlike the usual reading/book area. Well done again:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great! I love how all the letters are different. I need to make a reading area for my kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...